Tips For A Killer Body
I’m asked all the time for advice on how to lose weight or how to gain muscle… So I’m doing you a solid. Here are my pro tips on burning fat, building lean mass, and getting the body you want!
Some people walk into the gym, throw a few weights around and muscles will just appear. However, for others, no matter what they do, they find their bodies don’t respond. Then there are those who just don’t quite know how to put all the variables that influence muscle growth and fat loss together.
I have spent years as a personal trainer and nutrition coach, helping women and men reach their body goals. Along the way I’ve picked -and personally tried- many weight loss tips in addition to workout and training advice. In this post I will provide you with some tips on how to build muscle while also encouraging more fat loss. Let’s get to it!
1. Train using multi-joint lifts – Such as squats, deadlifts, bench press, chin ups and Olympic lifts. A huge time waster for the average person is to train each muscle separately. Your muscles will get bigger faster by training multi-joint lifts because you can use heavier weights.
2. Use short rest period (10-60 seconds) – To trigger the greatest metabolic disturbance with a high lactate and growth hormone response.
3. Always count the tempo and vary the tempo – Of lifting phases and rest periods to provide new stimulus for the body to adapt.
4. To get lean fast, use a hypertrophy-type protocol with high volume – More than 3 sets, and 70 – 85% of your 1RM (repetition max).
5. Use longer time under tension to burn more energy – And increase post-exercise oxygen consumption. For example: 4 second eccentric and 1 second concentric phase.
6. Perform circuit training using upper/lower body or agonist/antagonist paired sets – Use moderately heavy loads with little rest between sets for maximal metabolic disturbance.
7. Work Harder – The ability to push oneself is a skill! Therefore, if you’re not getting results, you may not be pushing yourself hard enough.
8. Give priority to training the anaerobic energy system over the aerobic system – When strength training and conditioning.
9. Do high-intensity sprint intervals for conditioning – 6 x 30 seconds running sprints with 2-4 minutes rest.
10. Be as active as possible in daily life – Move more. Take brisk walks during the day. Take the stairs and include active transportation activities, such as cycling.
11. Do relaxing physical activities instead of just sitting in front of a screen – Yoga, stretching, foam rolling or walking meditation.
12. Sitting is considered the new smoking – Get a standing desk.
13. Eliminate all added sugar from your diet.
14. Eliminate all trans-fats from your diet – Such as margarine and shortening – They MUST be removed from the diet.
15. Eliminate all processed foods from your diet – You should barely be eating these in general!
16. Pick a protein goal and hit it every single day! – Strategically increasing the amount of protein you eat to coincide with muscle building phases is proven in the literature. Whey is a superior protein source for developing muscle and strength.
Try the Refuel – Whey Protein Blend From FNX Fit
17. Raise resting metabolic rate (the amount of calories the body burns at rest) – By eating a higher protein diet, with 15-35% of the diet coming from high-quality protein.
18. Eat a diet with high-quality protein – Organic meat, eggs and wild fish will provide the largest nutrient and protein content per calorie.
19. Balance Omega-3 to Omega-6 intake – Eat fish and pastured meat, but limit omega-6 fats by avoiding vegetable oils (corn, soy, canola, and peanuts).
19. Eat smart fat – Favoring animal fats that come from fish, pastured animals and plants that have a low omega-6 content such as avocado, olives and coconuts.
20. Eat an antioxidant-rich diet – To reduce inflammation, which can inhibit fat-loss. Try kale, broccoli, cauliflower, bok choy, berries, pomegranate and cherries.
Energybits Antioxidants – 100% Algae-Based Support
21. Drink plenty of water – At least 3 liters a day to stay hydrated and help detox the body.
22. Avoid alcohol, juice, soda and sports drinks – Stick to water, tea and coffee.
23. Get metabolically flexible so that your body is adapted to use fat for energy along with glucose – Do interval training and increase proportion of your diet from fat and protein, while limiting carb intake.
24. Make sure your vitamin D level is over 40ng/ml. If it’s not, take a vitamin D supplement or get daily full-body sun exposure.
25. Eat probiotic foods – To improve gut health.
26. Take care of your magnesium levels – Magnesium supports insulin health, muscle strength, and sleep. Take 500mg of magnesium a day.
27. Take a B-Vitamin complex – Because B’s are involved in protein metabolism, the use of muscle glycogen, and the elimination of excess hormones such as estrogen that limit fat loss.
28. Drink coffee or take caffeine before workouts –To increase fat burning and work capacity.
29. Take L-Carnitine – To help the body use fat for fuel and increase time to exhaustion when training hard.
30. Take the amino acid Taurine – Because it lowers stress hormone cortisol and helps the body digest fat.
31. Prioritize your sleep! – An early-to-bed, early-to-rise sleep pattern has been shown to improve body composition.
32. Fix your gut – Low stomach acid, chronic inflammation in the gut or bad bacteria all inhibit fat loss. Eliminate food intolerances, get probiotics and optimize fiber intake.
33. Reduce your stress – It is very possible that stress is the primary factor inhibiting your fat loss. It throws metabolic hormones out of whack, alters sleep and triggers sugar cravings.
34. Know that you have complete control over what you put in your mouth – No one ever ate anything by accident!
Kaldzar is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.