Super Salad Rich in Antioxidants, Polyphenols and Other Micronutrients
They say “an apple a day keeps the doctor away” but I think the saying should really be about a salad instead. The benefits of combining a fresh salad with a variety of vegetables, will deliver even more of the nutrients -including antioxidants and polyphenols- that your body needs. From vitamin A to zinc, making a super salad packed with natural vitamins and minerals is the perfect gift for your body, mind and even your spirit.
Mixed Baby Lettuce
Tabbouleh (*see below)
Fresh Lemon Juice
Ground Black Pepper
Salad Toppers: Pepitas, Sunflower Seeds, Dried Cranberries
- Put a few big handfuls of fresh, leafy mixed greens in a large serving bowl. This time I also added some chopped baby romaine for extra crunch.
- Slice and/or dice your fresh cucumbers, tomatoes, and asparagus into bite-size pieces of your liking. (about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of each) Add to the bowl.
- Next add some fresh peeled and chopped ginger (about a thumb-sized piece), as well as two finely minced cloves of garlic.
- Spoon in about 1/2 cup of pre-made tabbouleh.
* For those of you who may not know: Tabbouleh is a middle-eastern salad of chopped parsley, with tomatoes, mint, onion, and cooked bulgur or quinoa. It is seasoned with olive oil, lemon juice, salt.
- Mix up a simple vinaigrette of olive oil (1/4 cup), fresh lemon juice (1/4 cup), balsamic vinegar (1 tbsp), and a pinch each of salt and black pepper. Give this a vigorous shake.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad, and give the whole thing a good mix.
- Give your super salad an extra boost with toppers such as pepitas, sunflower seeds and dried cranberries.
- Serve fresh and enjoy.
Asparagus In Salad?
Many people have only eaten asparagus either grilled, steamed or boiled. However, it can absolutely be eaten raw. In fact, I love it this way because the crunchy texture is fulfilling and its full arsenal of nutrients comes intact. In case you didn’t already know, asparagus is one of the most nutritionally well-balanced vegetables. These spears are low in calories but are a good source of potassium, fiber, thiamin, and vitamins A, B6, and C. They are also high in folic acid. A 5-ounce serving provides 60% of the RDA of folic acid! Due to all this nutritious content, the health benefits of asparagus are fairly vast. I definitely recommend working them into your diet and meal plans whenever possible. And spring is the perfect time, as this is when asparagus is naturally harvested.
Did you know that algae is the most nutrient-dense foods in the world?
Learn more about them here!
Get Your nutrients – Micro And Macro
Many people are not getting the daily recommend amounts of many micronutrients. A fresh salad is a great way to ensure you are getting a good dose of all the elements and compounds your body needs in order to operate optimally. As I’ve mentioned before, micronutrients are essential to many of your bodily functions. Here’s an example of all nutrients you can look forward to boosting with our super salad.
- Antioxidants from spinach, lettuce, asparagus and cranberries fight free radicals in your body.
- Polyphenols from fresh vegetables and seeds boost digestion and brain health, as well as protect against heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and even certain cancers.
- Fiber galore – helps fill you up, and plays a huge role in healthy digestion.
- Healthy Fatty Acids from olive oil deliver energy and other benefits.
- Plant Protein from the quinoa is great for strength and repair.
- Water-soluble and fat-soluble vitamins support many bodily functions.
- Minerals, both major and trace also play a key role in a wide range of processes.
Mix Up A Salad As Often As You Can
It is almost needless to say, but salad is really good for you… The high levels of micronutrients, antioxidants, and polyphenols boost your immunity and vitality, and will aid in supporting an overall healthier you. These are some of the main reasons I eat salad so often and encourage you to pick up the habit, too.
Let us know your favorite salad ingredients and recipes! Comment below or drop us a line at email@example.com.
EnergyBits develops and offers 100% plant-based algae nutrition which is designed to boost your immunity, vitality, and much more!
Kaldzar is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.