Stuffed Italian Sausage: Neato, Keto, Buon Appetito!
When you’re craving some Italian flavor but not all the carbs that come with a traditional pasta dish, reach for this tasty stuffed Italian sausage recipe. Even with a side of veggie noodles, it is so easy to prepare and so flavorful that your taste buds will be just as satisfied as your tummy in no time.
2 Italian Sausages
Butternut Squash “Noodles” (raw, about 2-3 cups)
2 Cloves Garlic
Pepitas (Pumpkin Seeds)
Thyme (Preferably Fresh but dried will do, too!)
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl combine your butternut squash and minced garlic, along with small handful of pepitas, a pinch of salt, a pinch of pepper, and a drizzle of olive oil (~1 tbsp). *Here we are using “pre-noodled” squash, but feel free to grate your own ahead of time.
- Give those ingredients a quick stir to coat the squash noodles. Then set aside to marinate while you prep the sausages.
- Remove casings and slit each sausage lengthwise, then lay them open.
- Sprinkle the insides with a bit of salt and pepper (but be careful not to over-salt if the sausage comes pre-seasoned).
- Add the mozzarella cheese. *We’ve sliced ours, but shredded would work, too.
- Now it is time for thyme! Remove from the stems and add on top of the cheese.
- Additionally, add a some dried, ground sumac to each sausage, as well as a light touch of olive oil.
- Pinch each sausage closed.
- Coat the bottom of a medium sauce pan with about 1 tbsp of olive oil. Toss in the squash noodles, cover, and set on the stove at medium heat.
- Melt 1 tbsp butter in a skillet, then add your sausages.
- Cook these over med-high heat for 10-15 minutes, gently flipping several times to ensure all sides are cooked evenly. While you’re at it, give those noodles a gentle flip, too.
- Remove all food from heat. Lay the cooked stuffed Italian sausages on paper towels to drain off any excess oil.
- Pair with a glass of wine, plate and enjoy!
Jam Cellars Butter Chardonnay
Aromas of apple pie and a rich creaminess that surrounds you at each sip. Aged in oak, this wine sees brightness, complexity and depth in the creaminess. Available online.
La Crema Sonoma Pinot Noir
Aromas of ripe cherry, cocoa, anise and rich baking spices. Plush flavors of cherry, plum and pomegranate meld with hints of delicate tea leaf. Structured, balanced acidity and elegant, firm tannins round out the mouth. Available online.
Kaldzar is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.